Monday, January 13, 2014

The Strange Things Speech and Debate Kids Do

Let's be honest: speech and debate kids are weird. Maybe not individually, but in general. We do some pretty weird things, things that almost no other group of people do. Since it would take hours to list all the strange things, I'm just going to list five of them for your amusement. Of course, if you are a Christian homeschooled speech and debate kid, then this will just be reassurance that you're not alone.

5. Speech Ranks Stalking


We all do it. I'm pretty sure that Speechranks is a legit thing to fast from. I don't know how, but we manage to spend hours on speechranks. There are two forms of speechrank stalking: Number one is where you stalk yourself, and the people you've competed against. You go to a specific tournament and look at how far away you were from getting a checkmark. Number two is boredom stalking. It's a progression, see: first, you look at your own ranks. Then you look at your TP partner's ranks. Then you look at their duo partner's. And then the duo partner's parli partner's ranks. And it goes on. And on. And on, until you're looking at impromptu champion from NITOC two years ago's TP partner's persuasives scores.

4. Speeches on Youtube

I don't mean speeches about youtube, because I have yet to see a speech about youtube. I have, however, seen just about every speech that has been videotaped and uploaded to youtube. I can spend a significantly long amount of time watching said speeches. I know I'm not the only one doing it, because some of these have a few hundred views and I haven't watched them that many times. Although I think I could watch Chandler Lasch's speeches that many times.

3. Green Checkmarks

How even..?
Now, in and of themselves, green checkmarks are pretty normal. But when you're a CHSADK, you have a pretty abnormal desire to have those things. Some people are green with envy for money or big houses, but CHSADK's are green with envy for green checkmarks. (Well, not 'with envy,' but you know what I mean.) Getting one checkmark is great. It gives you hope. Hope for another green checkmark. And when you get the second checkmark, you have an internal party. At checkmark number three you think, "wow, where am I gonna put all these imaginary checkmarks?" I don't really know what happens after number three, because that's the most I've ever had. If you have had more, then please, let me know what it was like.

2. Wall Interps




Clarification, I'm not talking about walls giving interps, because, not gonna lie, that would be ridiculous. I'm talking about those interp kids (myself included) who practice their interps in front of walls before their rounds. I have done this... twice. Maybe three times? See, I've only done an individual interp at one tournament. I anticipate much wall interping in my future.

1. Public Speaking

Honestly. Some people would rather die than speak in public. But here we have hundreds of teenagers standing in front of strangers giving speeches on a regular basis and loving it. We are an insane group of kids. We're almost as insane as the Sherlock fandom! (But, of course, no one is as insane as the Sherlock fandom.) We face judgement on a regular basis- and we love it. Sure, we don't like it when we get eighths on our ballots when eighths don't actually exist, but it makes for great stories! We are a crazy group of kids- and I wouldn't want it any other way.

*~*~*~*

In other news, it's 2014, and I just came up with a great New Years resolution that doesn't involve going to the gym daily or eating healthy food 24/7... You can vote affirmative! *Shameless plug*

4 comments:

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3