Monday, May 30, 2016

Legacy - the Fourth Year Confessions

"When I became a senior, I didn't expect a massive out-pour of love."

I'm going to be a senior next year.

Since a lot of my friends are just barely older than me, I've heard a lot about what it's like to be a senior. There are college applications and ceremony plannings and stress and senioritis. But my best friend Hannah told me something that's stuck with me all week: "When I became a senior, I didn't expect a massive out-pour of love."

Hannah has been in speech and debate since she was twelve, and now she's graduating. That entire time, I've been able to watch her grow into the incredible woman of God she is. I see the people who spend time with her, and I realize that's what I want.

I don't want to be known for a bookshelf full of trophies. I don't want to be known for my points on Speechranks. I don't care about being draped in a dozen medals. Two years from now, I don't want to be remembered as the girl who won a lot of stuff at NITOC, for people's mentions of me to consist of awards. I want to leave a legacy.

Leaving speech and debate and high school, I know the legacy Hannah is leaving behind. She's given the example of being kind to the least of these. She sat with the juniors during the awards ceremony. Not 11th graders, but with those 12 and under who are too young to compete. She spent time having vulnerable, spiritual conversations instead of stressing about her speeches. She gave a speech about leadership and lives it.

I know the impact Hannah has left in our obscure little community because I see it, I feel it, I'm impacted by it.

I can't imagine doing speech and debate without Hannah being there. When I hugged her after the awards ceremony, I started crying because we need her and more people like her. We need people who don't just say they care more about relationships than competitive success, but people who live like that. We need leaders who know their influence. We need wisdom. We need love.

When I'm a senior next year, I want to leave a legacy. I want the people around me to say, 'I want her love, her grace, her leadership.' Not because I'm so incredible, but because I want God to use what little I have to make a difference. I want that difference to spread throughout the entire Christian homeschool speech and debate community. I've seen the difference Hannah and so many of my other friends have made in this community and I'm amazed by how God uses those who are humble, those who know it's not about themselves.

Here we are, at the end of the year. We won't be debating about East Asian trade policy (thank goodness) or education or developing countries. We won't be giving motivationals. We won't even have two LD resolutions. And that doesn't matter.

What matters is that we'll still be living with kindness. That we'll still be giving grace. That we'll have joy and love.

If I have learned anything this year, it's that everything will be okay because we will still have love. We still have people who are true friends, who are honest, who are leaving a legacy of Christ-like character.

Whether or not you're a graduate this year, you are leaving a legacy. It's up to you if that is a legacy of love or not.

Vote affirmative, because you shouldn't make a negative impact.

5 comments:

  1. Very well written, Hadley. Thank you for the impact you have had on me. You highlight the fact that we are instruments of God's grace. That is something that I continue to realize on deeper levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. This is definitely something that I've learned over the past few years of being involved in Stoa. Life isn't about being loving and kind for our own glory, but so that other's can see Christ in our lives.
    You have made such a positive impact on my life, and I know you have on others lives as well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadley, you speak of wanting to leave a legacy, in truth you already have and you continue to. For me you have been an amazing dependable friend and sister, even when I tried to shut everyone out of my life. I have learned many things by the wa you act, I have learned to work hard, to love and trust God, and to never give up on a friend, but the thing I learned most from you, the thing that will stick with me forever, is to always love. You taught me that my job in life isn't to go around telling everyone that they are wrong, but rather just love them and let God lead them to what is right. I can't even begin to thank you enough for everything you have done for me, and I cannot imagine a better duo partner than you were. Thank you so very much for the friend you have been, and still are, to me. That legacy of yours is already there, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaleb, thank you. That really means a lot to me. That's so what I needed to hear right now. You're so kind and I'm so honored to have made a difference in your life. For real, thank you SO MUCH. You're awesome, Kaleb. Thanks for the difference you've made in my life. :)

      Delete
    2. Wow, I have finished reading all your blog posts over the past two days, there are a lot of them. Something I am amazed about is how many of them are truth that I needed to hear... Truth that I had known, yet pushed to the back of my mind. Thank you Hadley, you are truly a blessing to all. :)

      Delete

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3