Saturday, May 11, 2013

Cupcakes and Writing and Reading and Why Such Things Are Amazing

Once upon a time, there was a magical land where cupcakes were buildings and the people were various types of chocolate candy. Then Hadley came along and ate all the buildings and the people, and it was a very tasty meal. ☺

Wasn't that a fun story? It has all the necessary components. Cupcakes, chocolate people and a strong female lead. This is why I'm a writer, folks. To see the things of my imagination really come to life. Well, not really come to life. But can't you just picture that in your imagination?

Okay, so that wasn't such a great story. I promise that I usually have some better stuff in my head. Well, sometimes. A lot of it is cupcakes. But even more of it is kitkats and impromptu speeches. And my persuasive. And how much I cried in the last movie I watched. And a bunch of other stuff. But besides all that, there's the part of my that really loves writing.

I didn't always love writing, you know. In fact, I hated it. Like, really hated it. Even more than I hated impromptu. Then I read a book called Warriors: Into the Wild. And I really liked it. Up to that point I had only kind of liked reading. But once I started that series I really loved reading. And then I wrote a fanfiction for it and I was like, 'hey! Writing is fun! How come no one ever told me that?' It was the first time I felt like I was actually good at something. Looking back, it wasn't that bad...For a 10-year-old. (I mean no offence to any 10-year-olds. Some of my best friends are 10!) Anyways, ever since then I've loved writing. 80% of my ideas are still in my head. Trust me, most of them should stay that way. The few that have made them out of my head and onto paper/the computer screen usually haven't made it past the first chapter. There is one story, however, that has endured three entire chapters. Maybe I'll post some of it later. ;)

One of the things I love about reading is that you have to use your imagination to get anything out of it. You have to picture characters, and hear their voices. I love movies, don't get me wrong, but with reading you have to picture things for yourself. Writers only do half the work, the other half belongs to the readers. There's no point in writing if no one will read it, even if it's just you. I believe that everyone should read. And I don't just mean for school or assigned reading lists or whatever. Reading by requirement takes the fun out of it. Read on your own time. Read when your bored instead of watching T.V. or eating or whatever.

One of the things I love about writing is being able to share the things of my own imagination with others. Character that prior were only the figments of my wandering mind show up on paper and enter other peoples' minds. I love trying to describe a sword fight or a rain storm in a way that other people can see  and hear clearly in their heads. Being a good writer (especially of fiction) is being able to express your views and ideas and beliefs in a subtle way that people still understand. But the thing I love the most about writing is being able to worship God in a way people don't think of when they think of worship. I believe that one form of worship is using the gifts and talents God has given us in a way that glorifies Him, even if we don't directly say His name.

So that pretty much sums it up. I'll probably write more about writing and reading and cupcakes in the future, but for now I'd just like to congratulate you on making it through this whole post. ☺

This could be yours. ;)
And also, vote affirmative. I'll give you cupcakes if you do. And, as we all know, cupcakes are delicious. ☺

3 comments:

  1. I voted affirmative, so I'll be expecting a cupcake as soon as I get home. Hey, maybe I'll blog some of my imagination and you can read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to ask mom to get the cupcake stuff...

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3