Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tournament Orphans

I'm an orphan. But only about once a month for a few days. And not really ever during the Summer. I'm only an orphan at debate tournaments.

Whenever my dad actually goes to tournaments (and he doesn't go to a lot) he works in tab. You never see those who dwell within the walls of the tabulation room. They stay in that room. Sometimes, you pass by this room, which is usually a tiny office in which are crammed several people. exceeded the suggested room capacity. Tab sometimes gets food leftover from the student lunches and the judges room. It is all they have to survive off of, since they cannot escape the prison like room known as tabulation... You get the point. I hardly ever see my dad at tournaments. Sometimes he emerges from tab to watch my speeches, but this is a rare and precious occasion.

I have never been to a tournament without my mom. But alas, I hardly ever see her, for she works tirelessly within the walls of the judges room, rendered off limits too all those who are competing. But this is not because she is always judging. She almost always works toward making sure all the rooms of competition have a suitable number of judges in ballot push. I see my mother even less than I see my father.

It is a strange sight for me to see other students with their parents. I can't help but wonder, 'shouldn't they be working? Or judging? Or, I don't know, eating judges' food?' But some kids are not rendered orphans at tournaments. But we tourney orphans manage to survive off our friends' company- and their snacks.


Maybe one day I won't be a tourney orphan. But that is unlikely. Vote affirmative, out of pity for this poor little orphan.

2 comments:

  1. This is old but I relate to this so much! My dad is rarely at tournaments and my mom is in tab so I kind of wander aimlessly looking for food, water and shelter ;) The worst is when you bomb a round and you have no one to console you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I feel you Susannah! Thanks for reading/commenting!

      >hg<

      Delete

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3