Friday, September 12, 2014

I Can Go To NITOC - The Third Year Chronicles #6

(Based off I Can Go The Distance from Disney's Hercules.)

I have often dreamed of a tournament
Where a great big trophy will be waiting for me
Where the crowds will cheer when they hear my speech
And the judges keep saying that I win first place

I will write my speech, I can find a thesis
My great speech topic will make judges shed tears
I know every ballot, will leave me ranked first
I would practice for hours 'til I qualify for Nats

I just wrote my speech, I can give my thesis
Tournaments are long, but somehow I'll be strong
I know every coach will help me do well
I will go to tournaments until I qualify

***

Yes, I have often dreamed of such a tournament. I will indeed write my speech, along with a thesis statement to go with it. I will practice and my coaches will help me. However, not all of my ballots are going to rank me first. I may not go home with giant trophies that are perfect for eating unhealthy servings of ice-cream. I don't know if I will qualify for NITOC. But Nationals shouldn't be the goal. Yes, it's a great and wonderful thing, qualifying for nats. Yes, I would totally like to go to NITOC in all of my events (and I have a crazy amount of events).

But those two coveted green checkmarks aren't what we should be competing for. As we go into this speech and debate year, we need to be reminded of that. We won't win every round and we won't win every tournament and we may not even go to NITOC. Does that mean that all the hard work we poured into our speeches and into our beloved cases and briefs is wasted?

NO!!!

If your reason for competing in speech and debate is trophies and medals and glory, then, as Jordan Taylor would say, you're doing it wrong! The hardware is fine. Win trophies, get checkmarks, go to NITOC. But please, please remember why we love speech and debate so much.

It's the nerves we feels during breaks, wanting desperately for our friends to break. It's the cold lunches we share with our people at tournaments. It's the friendships we develop at tournaments and club meetings and the time in between. It's the reaction your friend has when they get their first 1st Place ballot. It's the clapping and cheering during awards as our friends walk across the stage. It's the adrenaline rushes and excitement before every round and every tournament.

There are so many things I love about speech and debate, but most of all, I love the people. You guys, my people, my friends, my family.

I want to qualify for NITOC. I want to win trophies. But those things aren't my goals this year. This year I want to show love to other people. I'll pray for my fellow competitors, not just right before rounds, but between tournaments, because we all have our struggles, and we all need prayer. I want to encourage other competitors, not tear them down. I want to be known for showing God's love to everyone around--judges, competitors, parents, juniors. I want our club to be known for showing God's love. I want Stoa to be known for showing God's love.

Trophies are nice, and it feels good to have medals dangling around your neck. But don't let those things, or a NITOC qualifying checkmark become your goal.

Vote affirmative, but, more importantly, show love to others, and remember why we do this crazy thing called forensics.

(This post is part of a series called The Third Year Chronicles. Click here for TTYC #5.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3