Wednesday, November 06, 2013

The Should-be Goal of Speech and Debate

At the first club meeting of the year, our platform coach asked for us to write down two goals for the competition. It would've been so easy to write down, 'get first place on a ballot,' or 'qualify for nationals.' It's easy for those things to be our goals. It's easy to go to a tournament wanting nothing more than to win. And sometimes we do. People win. And it's amazing to watch my friends win.

Last year, when I wrote down goals before tournaments, I had a lot of '9:00 minutes on persuasive,' or 'three cross-x questions in TP.' I never wrote down as one of my goals 'win!' But for at least half of those tournaments, that was my real goal. Not entirely. I did want to persuade people in persuasive, and have a three minute impromptu, but I also wanted to win. I felt like I deserved to win.

C.S. Lewis said that humility isn't thinking less of yourself; it's thinking of yourself less. When I didn't do well (to say the least) at NITOC, I started thinking that I wasn't good enough. I didn't think that I deserved to be at NITOC, I didn't think that I deserved to be doing speech and debate at all. I thought I wasn't good enough. That night, looking at my ballots, I couldn't think clearly. I knew, I really knew, that ballots aren't a definition of who I am, or how good I am. But I couldn't believe it as I saw fifth and below after fifth and below. I was focused on myself. Not on the people in my rooms who got 1sts, not on the people who didn't qualify for nationals.

When I wrote my speech, I knew who it was for. It wasn't for me. It was for the people watching my rounds. The judges, the timer, the audience. The people whose preparedness I questioned before I began every speech. But it's easy to forget the reason we do speech and debate, or easy to forget what should be the reason we do speech and debate: to bring glory to God. I never want to forget the time people have said that my speech inspired them. I never want to forget why that speech inspired them: because God was with me. Because the only way I was ever able to write a speech was with God's help.

My goal for this year is to remember why I do speech and debate, why I go into rounds with my heart in my stomach so I can give a speech to a bunch of strangers who are literally casting judgement on me. I want to learn to communicate with intelligence. I want to be able to think critically. I want to inspire people and encourage them. And I want to make people laugh at my duo. But most of all, I want to remember that there are other people involved. I want to remember that the judge who ranked me fifth and below did that for a reason. I want to remember that the person who won first place worked hard to get there. I want my focus to be on other people. It won't be easy, and it won't be a one time thing. But it'll be worth it.

But besides remembering, I want to ask you, judge, to vote affirmative. Not because I deserve it, but because there is no one going neg against me. And what's the point of voting for someone who doesn't exist?

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is very true.
    For a while at the beginning I was like you. All I wanted to do was win. Get those votes, rank 1st, all that.
    It all changed at one tournament last year when I was walking down a hallway going to my round, and a random lady stopped me.
    She looked to be around her late-40s, a motherly-type. I had never seen her before in my life. I'm pretty sure she was a community judge, but even today I'm not sure.
    She touched my arm and asked in a gentle voice, "Excuse me, are you the boy with that amazing persuasive on Microwaves?"
    I was stunned by this. I didn't go around telling people what my persuasive was on. I'm pretty sure this lady hadn't judged me before, so she wad heard of me from the grapevine.
    I told her that I was indeed the boy with the persuasive on Microwaves. She responded that she hoped I moved on because she heard it was very, very good and she wanted to watch it.
    I thanked her, and as she walked away I stood in stunned silence. It was that moment that I realized that winning isn't what matters. What really matters is the people that you talk to. The judges who are hearing our speeches and debates. My persuasive apparently had such an impact on the judges that they told their friends to go and watch it!
    From that point I have vowed to myself that I will not let winning take precedence in my mind. From then on, my goal was to touch people's lives. To give them something to think about. To entertain them, and hopefully to persuade them.
    I achieved that last year, lets see what this year brings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm so glad you connected to a post I wrote two and a half years ago (oh wow that was really long ago). Thank you for reading! And for writing! I love that story. It's so cool when things like that happen. :)
      I hope you're having a great year in speech and debate!
      All the best,
      >hg<

      Delete

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3