Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I'm Short

I draw myself as a stick figure. A lot. It's not because I'm insecure about my weight or anything. It's because I'm too lazy to draw more than lines and a circle with some hair on paint. It's impossible to make anything look good on there. If you've been reading this blog for awhile, or if you've stalked through my 59+ blog posts, you know that I draw stick figures a lot. Perhaps you've realized that the recurring stick figure with dark brown hair is me. Perhaps you've noticed that the stick figure depicting me with a huge amount of accuracy is almost always shorter than the other stick figures.

I never stand in the back row of group pictures (unless everyone else in the picture is younger than eleven). Dresses that would be too short reach acceptable length for modesty (this is a bonus). I have to stand on my toes and occasionally a chair to reach the top shelves of our cabinets. I get neck cramps from having to look up at people all the time. It's really hard to be intimidating when you're 5'1, but I make it work

I wonder how people see me sometimes. Do I stick out in a group? Do people notice my height (or lack thereof)? Do they realize that almost all my friends are multiple inches taller than me? Because I don't usually notice those things. I make fun of myself for being short, sure. I notice that it's awkward when people go down for a side hug instead of down. (Seriously people, just go up.)

I wonder if the judge notices I'm only 5'1 and think I'm a twelve-year-old.

I wonder if the fluffiness of my hair compensates for my lack of stature.

I stand really close to people to see if I'm taller than them. (The answer is no.)

I stand on my toes to see if I will be taller than them if I do as such. (The answer is still no.)

However...

I don't feel insulted when people call me short. It's merely the truth.

I am not insecure about my height. I actually like being short.

I do not have to worry about finding a husband who is taller than me. (Yeah, as it turns out, most guys are actually taller than 5'1.)

I don't wear heels to feel taller. That is just a bonus.



God designed me to be a short, fluffy haired, braces-needing, glasses-wearing, off-key singing, book writing, blogging, speeching, debating, and stick-figure drawing girl.

Vote affirmative, because you're short. Or at least I am. But we've clarified that already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3