Thursday, August 28, 2014

The First Club Meeting of the Year - The Third Year Chronicles #4

This afternoon we had the first club meeting of the year. We met in the sanctuary of the church where we meet for club and our various coaches went over the club's basic information and guidelines. And, being perfectly honest, I knew pretty much knew all the stuff already. But I didn't care. I sat there, listening to the words being spoken, because after the coaches were done and everyone had turned in their registration forms, I knew that I would finally get to talk to my friends.


Summer is great and all. There are popsicles and swim parties and long, boring days spent wishing the debate season would start. That last one isn't so great, but it is true. I spent a lot of time waiting for club to restart and now it's finally here.

I was a few minutes late to club today, so pretty much everyone was already there when I arrived. But I couldn't really talk to anyone because the meeting had already started. So I sat down in the back (and I like, never sit in the back. I don't like being late.) and waited for the socialization to start.

And start it did. There were people. Like, everywhere. My heart jumped into my throat (not literally. I'd be in serious trouble if my heart relocated to my throat). I restrained my excitement and tried not to run around hugging everyone in sight. It was a struggle, seeing as how I hadn't seen most of those people in over a month, which may not seem like that long, but since, aside from speech and debate camps, I had a people-deprived summer, I was ecstatic.

Thankfully, I managed to channel my excitement-charged energy into intelligible conversation. I communicated with my people (I call my friends my people. It's a term of endearment, I promise). I managed to say words with real syllables and real meanings rather than spewing gibberish at an excessive pace and a volume capable of bursting eardrums.

And so I socialized for the first time in forever. We didn't do any speech or debate work, but I saw people and I love people. I'm really tired now. I love people, and they energize me and they also drain me. But they are still awesome - especially my friends. I missed y'all, and I'm super excited that I get to see y'all once a week. (At least most of y'all. But I still love my non-IF friends. You're just as great as my IF friends. <3)

Vote affirmative, because you're awesome and club is back.

(This post is part of a series called The Third Year Chronicles. Click here for TTYC #3.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3