Tuesday, October 21, 2014

If People Asked Questions Like Debaters

If you have ever attended a lecture dedicated to the topic of cross examination, you probably know that, in order to utilize your CX time to its fullest, you should ask close ended questions. While an admittedly excellent strategy in debate rounds, questioning of this nature is not an effective way to communicate in real life. But what if we did ask questions like debaters?

Normal: We're out of cereal.
Debater: Would you agree that, under the status quo, we are in need of Lucky Charms?

Normal:  The dogs used the bathroom in the living room.
Debater: Were you aware that the dogs have failed to relieve themselves, you know, outside?

Normal: You've been playing video games for a long time.
Debater: Isn't it accurate to say that you have been playing video games for seven consecutive hours?

Normal: Go pick up all your stuff from the bathroom floor.
Debater: Would it be fair to say that you really need to clean our bathroom?

Normal: How are you?
Debater: Is it your contention that you are doing well today?

Normal: We should have frisbee next week.
Debater: Would you agree that we need to have frisbee next weekend?

Normal: Do you want to hang out on Saturday?
Debater: Is it fair to say that you are free this Saturday?

Normal: Can I have one of your Starbursts?
Debater: Were you aware that there are currently no pink Starbursts in my possestion?

Normal: Vote affirmative.
Debater: It's for all these reasons I strongly urge an affirmative ballot at the end of today's debate round.

Well, that one's kind of weird anyway. I mean, who goes around asking people to vote affirma--Oh. Yeah...

Vote affirmative, because you ask questions like a weir--I mean DEBATER.

3 comments:

  1. This is so true! It made me laugh! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this again and your comic with your mom made me laugh so hard!!

    "Please stop this"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom is reading this over my shoulder, so I asked her if she would agree that privacy is a basic human right.

    She said no. I think I need to work on my cross-ex.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3