Monday, December 15, 2014

Things Everyone Has Gotten on a Ballot - The Third Year Chronicles #16

Having been to 17 tournaments over the last few years, I've noticed that, along with things that happen every tournament, there are some ballots that don't come as a surprise to anyone. Except novices. But they too learn of the ballots that come back every tournament.


1. Blank First

The judge ranks you first, but can't seem to find the words to express how much they loved your speech (???). One time, I got one of these ballots, then Mom (who was in ballot push) heard someone talk about how that judge saw this one speech that was amazing and apparently that was me. He really raved about my speech, but didn't write anything on the ballot.

2. Blank 5th and Below

You find this ballot and expect to at least get some good advice on how to improve your speaking. But instead all you get is a 5th and below and no reason as to why they would do that to you. You are left with no idea what to do. (See also 'Great job!')

3. Re-Ranked

One time I was last in the room, and apparently the judge had already decided what to rank me before I had even gone, based off the last speakers. Then I "kept getting better" and he went from ranking me fifth to ranking me second. Of course, there are other time that I've been ranked higher, and dropped from second or third to fifth and below. It happens even more frequently with speaker points on debate ballots.


 4. "You have great potential!"

Everyone has gotten this. Is there always suggestions on how to reach your potential? No. But the assurance that you have 'great potential' will surely bring some form of encouragement. Except probably not.

5. 1AR Slow Down

If that judge had ever given a 1AR, they would not be telling me to slow down. I guess not everyone has gotten this on a ballot, since not everyone has given a 1AR, but if you have, you know what I'm talking about.


6. Partner Mix-Up

All too often, the judge will get partners mixed up, whether in duo or TP or parli. My friends who are identical twins are partnered in TP and, despite the fact that they are sure to clarify who is who in every speech, they still get mixed up. It's unbelievably frustrating.


7. Great Job! (Just kidding you lost)

Similar to Blank 5th and Below, this kind of ballot provides no advice on how to improve. It does, however, tell you that you have a 'wonderful speech' or that you did a 'great job!' -5th and below. Super encouraging.

8. Foreign Language

The ballot that you spend the majority of the ballot discussion at the ballot party attempting to translate. But, as hard as you squint and stare and tilt your head, you can't make out what they're saying.

9. Random Smiley Face

Some judges think that putting a smiley face at the end of a degrading sentence will lessen the impact. This is actually true. But often it's the only legible thing on the ballot. (Smile faces are pretty great, actually.)


10. Excellent and Good


I'm not sure what this means. Is it almost excellent, but not quite? Or is it really excellent? Or were they just indecisive? I DON'T KNOW.

If I wanted to, I could go through and count all my ballots, but that would take forever. The folder containing all my speech ballots from last year is almost an inch thick. I've read so many ballots and gotten every possible rank (even eighth.) I've gotten crazy, infuriating ballots. I've gotten ballots that made my tournament.

I've cried and laughed over ballots, but in the end, they're not what matters. They won't be what we remember once we've graduated. It's the relationships and friendships built over our years in speech and debate. Maybe not all of those friendships continue after we graduate, but regardless, they are worth treasuring and worth fighting for.

And I just turned a post about ballots into a post about friendships. You're welcome.

Vote affirmative, even if the judge didn't.

(This post is part of a series called The Third Year Chronicles. Click here for TTYC #15)

((*DISCLAIMER* for the record, I know judges are the reason we can have this event. I'm undyingly grateful for the time they spend watching us and judging us. They can be frustrating sometimes, but so can we, as the competitors. Don't get me started on the crazy things people do in rounds.))

1 comment:

  1. I've only been in two tournaments, and I've got #7 and #8. I hate #7, especially.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. I'll love you forever. <3